Upgrading your membership
Members wishing to upgrade their membership level may apply online with the following process:
- Log in to your PAA membership
- Check your existing membership is up to date
- Apply using the ‘Upgrade Membership’ link in the lefthand menu
- Ensure all necessary supporting evidence is uploaded to your member file for approval.
Students: Upgrade before your student membership expires to receive 30% discount.
Upgrade applications with special or non-standard cases may be referred to the PAA Committee for review.
Evidence required for upgrade applications (Group, Studio and Professional Instructor Level 1)
Supporting evidence required (if not already on file):
- Appropriate PAA recognised certification (see table below)
- Provide First Aid certificate
- Public liability and professional indemnity insurance (or purchase PAA Member Insurance with your upgrade)
- in your PAA membership name
- specifically covering Pilates
- min. cover $2,000,000 for Professional Indemnity
- Any outstanding Professional Development Points (PDPs)
|Membership Level||Qualification required|
|Group Instructor Mat/Reformer||Either:
|Studio Instructor||Comprehensive training from a PAA recognised training organisation or equivalent.|
|Professional Instructor Lvl 1||Diploma in Professional Pilates Instruction from a PAA recognised training organisation or equivalent.|
|Professional Instructor Lvl 2||Either:
|Professional Instructor Lvl 3||Certification plus minimum 5000 hours experience|
|Professional Instructor Lvl 4||Certification plus minimum 7000 hours experience|
|Professional Instructor Trainer Lvl 1||Level 3 plus Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment or equivalent|
|Professional Instructor Trainer Lvl 2||Level 4 plus Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment or equivalent|
|Professional Instructor Principal||Certification plus minimum 10000 hours experience|
|Professional Instructor Principal Trainer||Principal plus Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment or equivalent|
Upgrading to Professional Instructor Level 2 and above - Additional evidence
Professional Instructor members upgrading their membership above level 1 submit their application as above, plus all of the following:
- Two signed character references on business letterhead from Pilates industry peers (e.g. stating how long they have known you and in what capacity).
- Summary table of all teaching hours since gaining your PAA recognised qualification, or since last upgrade (see example below).
- Supporting evidence of teaching hours:
- Employed hours – signed confirmation on business letterhead from each employer verifying dates of employment and hours worked.
- Self employed hours – statutory declaration verifying dates of employment and hours worked.
Calculating and submitting Teaching Hours
Teaching hours are defined as actual Pilates contact hours spent instructing clients in either group classes or private sessions.
They are to be documented as an average of hours taught up to a maximum of 30 hours per week, for a maximum of 48 weeks per year and a maximum of 1440 hours per year.
The table below displays an example of how teaching hours should be submitted to support your membership upgrade.
Employed and self employed hours may be combined in one table providing you supply supporting evidence for each.
|Studio / Employer||Year||Avg hrs p/wk||x no. of wks||Total hrs|
|Bell Pilates||2010||20||16 (Jul-Oct)||320|
|Power Pilates||2011||25||43 (Feb-Oct)||1075|
|Power Pilates||2012||28||43 (Feb-Nov)||1288|
|Central Pilates||2013||30||25 (Feb-Jul)||750|
Trainer Level Upgrades
Upgrades to Trainer Level membership require completion and documentation of Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment or equivalent, in addition to documented experience hours.